Developers (Mid-level & Senior)
Developers are the lifeblood of our business, They help bring new ideas, fresh approaches and deliver the core working code for our customers and we need more people who can commit to this vision. Helping us build new features as well as the legacy code aspects as we move architectures, you will not be afraid of the whole lifecycle of coding.
You will be joining an established product team who look after our enterprise products, which have hundreds of thousands of users and millions of interactions per day. You should be a polyglot programmer with experience on products with scale, performance and durable code and process
- Our products were originally built exclusively in PHP, but we are moving to a microservices architecture implemented in a variety of technologies including PHP, Java, and node.js. The emphasis is on the right tool for the job, rather than worship at any particular technology alter.
- We make extensive use of NoSQL technology. Our core data platform is currently MongoDB but we also used redis & PostgreSQL.
- We like to crunch numbers, log files and whatever else we can get our hands on in Hadoop and Storm.
- We use a hybrid of cloud and co-located services.
- We track, time and monitor everything that moves. Currently we’re using a combination of Sensu, PagerDuty, Dashing, NewRelic, Graphite.
- It is only desirable, not essential, that you have experience in some or all of the technologies we use today. Afterall, they may not be the exact same set we use in 18 months time.
- The important thing is that you can demonstrate you are a quick learner, use and select technologies on their own merit, and can apply sound theory in your decisions and code.
- Our software helps universities and colleges connect teaching and learning in meaningful and productive ways. Over the last 3 years we’ve been doubling our revenue roughly every 10 months, with 100% customer renewal, so we’re growing fast.We are keen to hire great development talent, to help us scale out our enterprise software, to challenge our thinking and markets, to take ownership of the business and for you to find the home that meets your needs.
- Your job is to work with with the rest of the development team to ensure new features – and new products – delight customers, ship on time, and are of a high quality.
- We’re looking for a developer, not just a great programmer – so your ability to question a spec and come up with a better outcome for the user is just as important as your ability to implement it.
- You’ll enjoy scaling and building for hundreds of thousands of users just as much as shipping a shiny new product to hundreds.
- You’ll be courageous in your approach to technology and not be afraid to undertake major changes if that is what is required to get the job done.
- You’ll share our appetite for unit testing, automated testing and continuous integration. You’ll likely have opinions on how to improve our approach to all three.
- Your code will be self-documenting, exhibit sensible and recognisable patterns, and your designs will be capable of being easily refactored as we scale, grow and further develop our products.
- Everyone is encouraged to ask a lot of questions here, so you should be ready for people to challenge and feedback on your approach and ideas, and vice versa.
- We are a fun, small, smart and close knit team. Every individual is expected to make a real and tangible difference to our success.
- We’re open and transparent, and those that share in our values thrive and stay with us for many years. We are a start-up now in the scale up phase, so those looking for a more corporate environment need not apply.
You’ll be working directly with the technical lead and the product manager for our enterprise products.
Although our offices are based in central Birmingham, all of our roles allow a degree of home working depending on specific requirements as set by your peers and reports.
In addition to an very competitive salary, we offer an exceptionally generous contributory pension scheme, private medical insurance (after induction period) and immediate cover on an exceptional Health Cash Plan, including dental and optical cover.
- 100% employee owned – every employee shares in the value of the company through our options scheme
- Flexible working hours and location – although we are small we have people on three continents and at many locations across the UK.
- Transparent reporting – every team communicates progress weekly to everybody – and you are free to ask questions or make suggestions.
- Hack events every quarter – for the whole company not just dev – our latest projects included a custom-built arcade machine, internet-enabled milkbot built into our fridge and hacking the walls with custom graphics.
- Beautiful Grade II listed offices in the heart of the Jewellery Quarter, Birmingham.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Talis.